Notes from Nepal

A record of my experience living with a group of Tibetan nuns in Nepal.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Starting to sink in


Yesterday I sat on Bodhnath Stupa for a long time. I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about being here. All the temples and little shops around the stupa suddenly came into fresh focus, and colors seem more vivid. I'd been feeling overwhelmed, out of place. For a while, Nick’s hidden love notes were the only thing sustaining me.

Today I'm going to go to Kopan Monastery. I woke up really early, before it got light, and got up around 5:30. It’s beautiful and crisp and damp outside.

The coffee at DGH has a distinctive, robust flavor, of which I'm becoming quite fond. Also advertised on the menu is real coffeeת דםI don’t know what it is I'm drinking.

I think tomorrow morning I’ll get up as soon as it’s light, and go for a walk before breakfast.

Lately I've been having a craving for chocolate—specifically Toblerone.

Just been served a brilliantly creative version of hash browns. I thought I was being offered canned peaches at first. Wedges of potato, in an orange sauce (turmeric?) with red specks (paprika?) and chopped onion and tomato. It bears no resemblance to hash browns whatsoever and is delicious. It was served very hot, along with a Nepali style omelette (a thin egg crepe). Subtle flavors of curry and something else I can't identify.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home