Notes from Nepal

A record of my experience living with a group of Tibetan nuns in Nepal.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Kagbeni en route to Muktinath

In an unexpected confrontation, the Maoists take 1000 rupees before letting me pass, which makes me cry and rage inside. I'm quite short on cash now.

Kagbeni’s adorable, with lots of fuzzy calves and sleepy dogs and happy children. Threshers in red and gold fields. No beggars.

Hotel Annapurna run by competent and friendly young woman who speaks excellent English. Exceptionally clean, with large rooms and attached bath (Western toilet) for 150 rupees. This is a fine place for a first time trekker to end the day, although I bet more experienced people go straight on to Muktinath. It’s only 1 in the afternoon but I'm really tired.

I wonder what Muktinath will be like. I very much want it to be clean and developed with proper bathrooms.

A frisky, friendly German lady with short white hair takes a long time to decide where to sit, how she wants the lights, what she wants for dinner. Lots of moving around and questioning the menu choices. The didi very patient with her—even speaks a little German.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home